Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Getting Ready for Phoenix


In a couple of days I'll be making my 5th trip to Phoenix for Spring Training. It's not consecutive: I skipped a year in there after Rick and I first went.

I keep switching hotels, hoping I'll find something I really like. This may be the one. I know I want to stay somewhere along N. 44th Street. It's just a skip and a jump from there to Phoenix Municipal, which is where I'll attend two games and where the A's claim their home. And it's very close to Phoenix International Airport, where I'll be flying in. AND it's easy to find my way back to the rental car hub from there, all on surface streets.

I will actually have a chance to see the new Dodger stadium, Camelback. And it's a night game. I'm a little nervous about finding my way there -- it's a good deal west of the hotel -- not to mention my way back. I'll be going right after the day game, so I should be able to get there during daytime hours. I hear it's very nice.

I actually see the Dodgers twice. I think the second time is at Hohokam Park, home of the Cubs. I didn't really pick the teams to see. I'd much rather see the Giants, but they were impossible to get to after Sunday and Monday (and those days are reserved for the A's at Phoenix Muni). I wanted games that were still in Phoenix. I didn't want to go to Tempe Stadium; the seats are antiquated and right in the sun there. So I ended up with the games I ended up with. What does it matter? It's baseball!

I'm flying in this time rather than taking 17 hours or 2 days (which is what it took to drive there last year). So it should be fairly easy. If I could just pack lightly, I'll be fine. Ha!

1 comment:

SusanKr said...

You need a portable GPS so you can find your way around (or a rental car with GPS). We've done that in new cities and it's enormously helpful!