Sunday, March 22, 2009

First Day at Spring Training, and Taking a Break from Oakland

I'm sitting here at Oakland Airport, and able to post this thanks to free Wi-Fi.

Clearing TSA wasn't as bad this time. I didn't have to take off my watch. There were the usual jokes about "at least we don't have to take off our pants, but it's darn close," and a young woman in the Southwest security line who asked, "What's this line for?" after standing there a few minutes. She saw the longer line inside, and all those people looked warm, but stuck it out in our outside line. Our line was freezing, but our line was a great deal shorter.

Today the game starts at 1 pm, a contest between the Oakland A's and the Chicago White Sox. I'm trying to think if I know anybody still (which usually means: did they once play for the A's), and I think there are a few left like Jermaine Dye. All of this is as Phoenix Municipal. I just realized I forgot to bring a hat, so I'll buy one there. I probably would've done that anyway.

I'm still trying to get over that stunning gun battle in Oakland yesterday. Four police officers were shot by apparently one suspect, who died on the scene. He shot the first two, I believe, during a routine traffic cop. Then he ran from the vehicle and hid in the neighborhood. An anonymous tip led them to an apartment complex, where the killer used another weapon -- semi-automatic -- to gun down two more. It is so horrible to think that those men lost their lives just a few miles from where I live.

Oakland has had its share of violence in the last year. Some really bad stuff is going down. I'm glad to take a break from it. But the latest in mayhem won't leave me easily.

No comments: