Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Highlights of the Las Vegas Star Trek Convention

When Marguerite left a voicemail on my cell phone about meeting Rene on Sunday, I felt conflicted. I had a scheduled Photo Op with Kate Mulgrew only 20 minutes after our group started to gather in one of the Hilton hotel rooms.

I went to the 7th floor but found I was several minutes early. While I was pacing the floor in front of Marguerite’s hotel room, another couple of fellow fans joined me in the hallway, and together we knocked on the door. I recognized quite a few old friends, the ones I only see at conventions. And a few minutes later, we all went over to Rene’s room.

Marguerite introduced me to Rene, who shook my hand, explaining that I would have to duck out within a few minutes. He was very kind, gracious, but he looked confused, probably because he remembers meeting me before. I don’t know how someone as popular as Rene could possibly remember all of us, but before our little meeting with him began, he went around the room and pointed out the ones he hadn’t met yet. Amazing.

Rick called me right then from the dealer's room to tell me how long the Kate line was, and that I had a few more minutes. And I couldn’t leave until Rene finished his story about how he landed a part on Holly Hunter’s new show. Finally he finished (after a tangential comment about the L.A. fires), and I waved and rushed back out.

How kind of Rene to take the time to catch up with us personally. How amazing is his career. I have to say, meeting him in his room was the highlight of the convention for me.

Other highlights of this, the biggest of the Star Trek conventions:

*Getting my photo op with Rene and Nana, both of whom seemed to be giggling over something Rene had just said.
*Jonathan Frakes telling us that this year is the anniversary “of the worst career decision ever made by Denise Crosby.” Frakes and Brent Spiner were hilarious on stage.
*I loved it when Leonard Nimoy talked about the discrimination large women receive in this country. “It’s cruel!” he exclaimed.
*Armin telling the story about asking Wallace Shawn why they didn’t get to see the Grand Nagus more. Wallace replied, “Armin, it takes me that long to forget how bad the makeup is!”
*Taking over Quark’s Bar with a thousand other Trekkies. And then offering my table to a starving Max Grodenchik as he held his plate, looking for a place to sit.
*New mothers Terry Farrell and Nicole deBoer, going on about their babies. Nicole: “I love it. Except I haven’t slept for six-and-a-half months.”
*The fan who related a tale of being at Yale with Rene’s daughter, and saying a belated “Thanks for the beer, Odo!” when Rene had bought a round for the players that night.
*Chase Masterson telling me that she’s sorry she never answered my email when I have never sent Chase an email. Seems there’s a director’s wife with the exact same name as mine.
*Nana admitting that her acting process is sometimes painful. “You have to go to the dark places. I don’t know how to pretend.”
*Watching Nana perform in front of the Las Vegas Symphony, singing All That Jazz.
*Hearing Kate Mulgrew on stage. Always eloquent, always surprising. She held the hand of one young woman, making her promise that she won’t go to young men. Obviously Kate is living her role in her stage play, Iphigenia 2.0.
*Hearing Rene talk about Julian. “It’s one of the great miracles of life when your daughter has a child. I’m just ga-ga with love."

No comments: