Friday, July 24, 2009

Comic Con 2009: Friday, and Bring on the Swag

Ricky and I split up today, probably the only day this will happen. I want to see Lucy Lawless on the Spartacus panel in Room 6BCD, and he headed off to view more movie stuff at Hall H. So we each got in separate lines. I know that I got in before he did, took the escalator upstairs, asked directions, went through the autograph Sails Pavilion where people were already lining up for autographs, and got in line to get in line. I.e., there was a line for all 6-labeled rooms, but I found other Farscape fans (that program starts the day in 6BCD), and after an hour of trying to find an internet connection, we were led through the cavernous halls to the other side to wait in the "real" life for 6BCD.

One of the guys in line -- he looked to be in his mid- to late 20's, told me that he hung around with the Farscape actors some 7 or 8 years ago because his mother was involved in production. He got them all into Disney World for free somehow, and had some stories about Gigi Edgeley that were very funny. She's quite funny and sanely insane; I met her before a couple of times, briefly, at the Farscape convention and Comic Con Sci Fi Channel autograph sessions. That's when it's a lot of fun while you're waiting in lines: talking to the other fans. Truthfully, I couldn't get into much of a discussion about Farscape because I stopped watching it after the second year when they killed off too many of my favorite characters.

So I am now sitting in Room 6BCD -- we've been here a little over an hour. The internet connection is much better in here, and so I'm blogging away. Got a good seat in front of the panel. And to the side of the screen so that I can see The Prisoner when they screen the entire first episode, the programming after Farscape. And then there will be Spartacus, Lucy, and lots of giveaways for those 2,000 of us who got here early, gave away our sleep, and worship the pop culture devil.

It's getting easier to blog, except for the people who are constantly coming and going in the row. But I'm getting the hang of it.

We just had the hour-long Farscape panel, and it was great to see Brian Henson, whose company handles the visual effects and puppetry, Claudia Black, Ben Browder, and producer Rockne O'Bannon, who started the whole thing some 10 years ago. There is so much fandom surrounding this Farscape phenomenon that products keep coming out, like repackaged DVDs and miniseries.

So, now I have to sit through the new Prisoner treatment, which stars Ian McKellen and Jim Caviezel. And then Spartacus.

No comments: