Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Henry Robinson Lunches - One Last Time

This time went a lot better, a lot faster, a lot more stream-lined. Using Ruth's long table really helped a lot, and the issue we thought we had re: loading the lunches into the cars wasn't that much of a problem.

The table took 8 columns of 15 rows of bread quite well. We then loaded the turkey, topped the sandwiches with another slice of bread, then loaded them into plastic bags. Then we started putting the cardboard boxes/trays on the table and putting the paper bags in those. That little aforethought really saved some effort, I think; having the trays there made everything else so easy: loading, counting, loading them into the cars.

And using clementines (tangerines) rather than plums meant I didn't have to wash them. And the bags weren't as fragile. Then, one bag of chips, one bag of fruit snack, topped with a napkin after I checked to see if every bag had everything in it. There were no mistakes (not like last time).

Ruth arrived a good 10 minutes after I did, timing which actually worked well. I took my lunches in and waited for her. I used the loading zone, and she parked 2 cars back from me. We had no one to take the lunches into the center this time, so I took all 14, one by one.

We treated ourselves by having a nice, slow dinner at The Fat Lady a mile over on Washington. The irony wasn't lost on us.

No comments: