Saturday, July 26, 2008

Comic Con, Day 3: Welcome to Hotel California


Ricky got up at 5 am this morning, out the door by 6. I slept in until 7. These mornings give me a chance to blog, but I know I have to be out of the hotel by 8 am or before. I have to go pick up sandwiches for the both of us, and then join him in line. Right now I'm waiting for the call that tells me where he is. We always hope he'll be in a place I can access later, rather than behind ropes or something like that.

On Wednesday afternoon, I had just driven the 2-hour journey from Anaheim to San Diego, and pulled in to the Hilton. I was very happy I made it safely and on time, beating Ricky by at least 30 minutes or more. I was chatting with the bellman who was helping me with my luggage when I learned from the desk clerk that all the two-bed rooms were gone. Impossible, I said.

I booked a year in advance. I'm one of the Hilton Honors faithful. She sympathized but repeated: they were all out. She then said they had a few of the roll-away beds left, and she could order one for me. At an extra $20 a night. I was seething.

But I realized there was nothing I could do. When I got into the room, I checked my original reservation, and, sure enough, there is no reservation for a room type. Just a room. The number of beds, etc., would be "determined at check-in." I then suddenly remembered that conversation that I had had with the reservations clerk about the same subject...a year ago.

The Hilton is a very simple hotel, very few amenities. I don't like their restaurant. But they have one thing I need: location. They're right across the street from the convention center, so it's very convenient at the end of a long day. And I've been staying here three years in a row. That relationship is now over.

I can honestly say, though, that the weather has certainly cooperated. Except for the first day in line, when the sun came out early and beat down on us, it's been cool in the mornings and overcast, and then the sun has come out later and is present when we leave the convention. San Diego consistent.

Well, I'm getting ready for Ricky's phone call. I'll check in later. We're doing Hall H again, but I plan to leave before 2 to see if I can get those elusive Watchmen t-shirts.

No comments: