Friday, July 25, 2008

Comic Con, Day 2: It's Purely Physical

I left Hall H at about 4:30 pm, after sitting there for almost 7 hours. I went directly over to the Warner Bros booth, trying to turn in the ticket voucher for a gift representing the new Watchmen movie, only to find out they had run out. "Try back tomorrow," she said rather nicely. She must get tired of saying that to the 5,000 people who didn't get their t-shirt.

It's dog-eat-dog in that convention hall, or rather Stormtrooper-eat-Pikachu. Thursday night, before we went back to the hotel, we took our usual tour for freebies. I saw dozens of people hanging out at the Sci Fi booth, but really didn't know why. (Three years ago, it would've been for Farscape autographs. No more.) Nothing was happening there at all. I wandered by the Warner Bros. booth -- on one side it had a high-topped shelf where the women helpers would lead over and hand you something .... or not. In this case, they had dozens of posters, from Transformers to G.I. Joe to the new James Bond movie. I couldn't get over to the other side to grab what was sitting there on the shelf, so I had to squeeze and, pardon me, shove the mostly women in front of me who refused to move, waiting instead to see if the helpers were going to hand them something new.

I am sporting a rather large bruise on my right arm that I picked up on preview night. Yeah, the shoving started then. I'm not intimidated by that. Strangely enough, mostly it comes from women who feel (I guess) they're going to be bowled over by the young geeks running over to get that one last collectible. The men don't seem to notice. It does get tiring. I can only take it for so long.

I did wander by the Sci Fi Channel booth on my way out, saw that a feeding frenzy was taking place, and dove in. It was a Ghost Hunter's bobblehead. And I got one.

I'm putting that on eBay tonight. I'm disappointed, though, that I didn't get the Watchmen shirt. I saw what it looks like on eBay because somebody else put it up for auction. We'll try again tomorrow.

No comments: