Monday, July 7, 2008

Getting Ready for Lunch

I have always wanted to volunteer in a soup kitchen. But along with that want were many fears, like how do I handle food, how do I deal with the men in the shelter, etc. I finally found a way to help that didn't involve much of that.

Temple Sinai has a program that supplies 120 lunches every Wednesday at the Henry Robinson Multi-Service Center in downtown Oakland. It only has 33 beds, so I wonder where those extra 90 come from. I'm assuming they come off the street, eat lunch, and go back to the street. They offer:

* 28-Day Emergency Shelter for Families
* Transitional Housing
* Food Services
* Day Drop-In Services

The program is well-run by Temple Sinai coordinators. Jennifer sent me several attachments, including a shopping list, directions on how to put the sandwiches and lunch bags together, and how to deliver them. They were very helpful today as I did the first part of this: shopping.

Here's the shopping list today -- and note that the shopping list assumes we'll be shopping at
Costco, and we did. Also note how specific the instructions are.

120 Paper Lunch Bags - Buy these in bulk. Use brown paper ones marked #6. (I already had plenty of these.)

120 Napkins

120 Plastic Sandwich Bags - Use Sandwich sized Ziploc bags (125 per box / 4 boxes per carton).

120 Pieces of Fruit - Usually Apples or oranges are the best buy and transport and pack well. Oranges can be used as is, but Apples should be washed and dried before placing them in the bags. Fruit prices and bag sizes vary throughout the year, so you need to compare to find the best deal. Take a calculator.

240 Pieces of Bread - Buy the Costco Kirkland brand Split Top Wheat Bread. It comes packed two loaves per bag and you need 5 Bags.

120 Small Bags of Chips - These come packed 30 bags to a box so you will need 4 Boxes.

120 Snacks - Look for Nature Valley brand Granola or Trail Mix Bars. These are usually a good buy and come packed 48 bars per box, so you need 3 Boxes.

15 Pounds of Roasted Turkey - Look for Butterball brand roasted Turkey Breast. These are double packs weighing 40 Ounces each. You need 6 double packs.

I bought double of most of the nonperishable goods here, as I'll be doing this next Tuesday as well.

Note in the photos that the whole kitchen has been taken up with bread, fruit, chips, fruit snacks. And in the fridge are the turkey slices and cheese.

Some of the residents had hinted that they wanted some variety. I found that hard to do, as the only two sliced meats, in bulk, that I could get at Costco were turkey and ham. And ham is out. And I didn't want to go anywhere else. So at least I will be adding cheese. And I tried to substitute other things, like plums for apples, a fruited snack for granola bars.

Assembly is tomorrow.

No comments: