Thursday, October 30, 2008

On the Train Again, Day 7


I watched the sunrise over the cold Nevada desert while I lay on my lower bunk. Beautiful red line rising over the horizon.

I decided to try out the shower, and much to my dismay, the line of water didn’t descend quickly. Realizing I only had a half an inch before the water would spill over, I rushed my shower a bit and rinsed off. The drain did work, but very slowly. Still, I got my shower in, and I’m still trying to convince Val to try it out.

At my insistence, we went to breakfast. I could smell the French toast before I got to the dining car. As it turned out, we were seated first with one gentleman, a New Yorker who was visiting his father in Oakland, and then a woman joined us; she lives in Albany. As Val later said, it seems we were finally seated with the only two other liberals on the train – oh, joy, oh joy!

Lots of conversation about Obama, Dellums, Las Vegas. We took a little longer for breakfast than is necessary.

I’m now back in the sleeper compartment as we pull into Reno. Val tells me that they have train memorabilia for sale in the lounge car. I’m gonna have to check that out.

Only a few short hours left until we pull into Emeryville.

What she and I both agreed: it's nice to leave a trip still wanting a bit more.

No comments: