Monday, October 27, 2008

Chicago: Day Four Part Two: Stuffed Pizza

We headed against the wind for the three blocks in order to arrive at Giordano's, a stuffed pizza place, before the meeting time of 7 pm. We walked into what seemed like an overstuffed subway station. And we were the sardines.

We very smartly got our name in for four people, and the woman there said, "Okay. It's an hour-long wait. Is that okay?" We nodded. "In 35 minutes, go place your order at the counter to your right. Then wait for your name to be called." What a clever idea. So your pizza bakes while you're still waiting.

About half hour of waiting later, just standing on our feet, trying not to be stepped on by commuters who demand their pizza, in walked a woman who seemed to recognize us. It was Lisa from 43Things. I must admit that I don't know Lisa, but she seemed very friendly, and so she waited there with us for our table. Val and I had name tags on so that the last person we were supposed to meet, RuthG, could find us. Turns out we never did see Ruth.

We placed our order for a medium stuffed cheese, and after another half an hour, got seated in the back. In the meanwhile, Joe Blanton was pitching an excellent game on T.V., but I couldn't see the monitor from where I was sitting. It took all my concentration to hear Lisa anyway, so we talked and stuffed the wonderful pizza into our mouths. "Stuffed" means "deep dish." I took some aciphex right before I started eating, and it worked really well.

When we walked back to the hotel, I didn't feel as cold as I did walking over. Val told me that eating helps. Well, gosh, that's the secret, then, to surviving in Chicago. Eat before you dive into the cold.

No comments: