Tuesday, June 3, 2008

I'm for Edwardsamaton

I went for my haircut today. I had no idea that the owner of the shop, who wielded scissors above my gray hair today, was Vietnamese. Not until she told me that she had to stop sending money to her family in VietNam because she's having such a hard time herself in these uncertain economic times.

Which led her to talk about the war and the huge expense of it all -- Iraq, Afghanistan. Which led her to ask me if I paid attention to the primaries. "Yes, of course," I replied, but couldn't answer her question about who was ahead. Did Obama win enough? Will Clinton concede? "I like her a lot, but she must." She felt strongly that Hillary had to give up so that we could all concentrate on defeating the Republicans, an act that might somehow equate to saving her store, and somewhere in there the troops would be brought home.

I went from there to the UPS Store to pick up the mail and to pick up dry cleaning. I went into Mrs. Hong's shop and found her in a discussion with a customer. Obviously it was about Obama vs. Hillary. "These are very exciting times," she told me, almost with a glare. "But I am so sad. I like her very much." She wanted Hillary to concede. Two more customers came in, and they were still discussing the inevitability when I left. (Just an aside here: both these women own their own businesses. Neither was born in the U.S. I have no idea if they're both U.S. citizens, but they certainly have the passion I wish most citizens had. I admire them both.)

It is an historic time. We are seeing history made. I thought last week was awesome, with the California State Supreme Court giving me the right to marry. (Thank you, Justices.) And on a day where that very decision is being contested by petition, it seems that Senator Obama is likely to sew up the primary as the candidate of the Democratic Party.

The primaries have been the subject of more than just discussion at our house. Bordering on rancor.

I have been for Hillary ever since I figured out some 15 years ago that she was a woman with an opinion, someone who wanted to change health care and offer it to all citizens. And then I found out that most Americans wanted to dictate to her what her role was, even what hair style to wear, and I got angry. Today I am still angry, and am a Hillary Clinton supporter.

My partner, however, was a staunch John Edwards supporter, and has admired him over the last 10 years or so. She even has an "Edwards" sticker on her Hybrid bumper, cool in color but peeling in reality. She saw him at a rally in Los Angeles, and, although wary of crowds, dove in and befriended many. She fell in love.

So when Edwards gave his gracious speech in which he recognized the math and the supposed will of the people, she felt her heart break. She started looking around for a candidate to back.

But she had difficulty breaking away from Edwards. So, for awhile, she became an EdwaHillary fan. I was very pleased with that. And then, suddenly, for a brief moment in time, a Hillary fan....

but then it was gone. Poof! She began to believe that Obama had the momentum, that Hillary just had too many things going against her (like all those men). And she became an EdwaHillama fan... moving to an Edama, and then, became an Obamards fan. (Because, let's face it: when you fall in love, it's hard to break free.)

It's been difficult here at home. My Clinton buttons have been put away. Even the one in Hebrew.

And tomorrow when Obama declares victory, and when his latest salvos at McCain will actually mean something in the rearview mirror....THAT's when both of us will buy our OBAMA sign for the front lawn, shake hands and share a kiss, and declare that THIS is our cause. Bring Obama to the Oval Office, and throw the Republicans out of their whitewashed house.

Finally, we can agree on a three-syllable name. And then wonder who he'll pick as a vice-presidential candidate. Could it be...?

No comments: