Friday, June 27, 2008

A Custian Blow for Niceness


I had a very nice time at the A's Booster luncheon today.

I didn't win a base this time -- yeah, really! a game-used, ALCS base in a game between the Detroit Tigers and the Oakland A's from 2006 -- like last time, but I still had a good time.

Jack Cust came to talk to us, and the MC was Vince Cotroneo. Vince was very, very friendly, and Jack was self-effacingly funny. Imagine working in the minor leagues for 10 years, wondering if you're going to finish out your career in Japan, when Billy Beane finally calls, rescuing you from the Padres, who just waived you. Amazing.

What do you like about the major leagues. "Everything." The fresh uniforms. The cleats. The food. The travel. This guy is enjoying it for all it's worth.

And, an extra bonus for me, a nice guy sat next to me and immediately started talking baseball. A good listener as well as a good talker, and I never even got his name. And then, two women with whom I spent some time at spring training a year-and-a-half ago. Very nice people. And they know a lot about A's baseball, too!

A wonderful day among fellow fans. I can't wait until the A's game against the Giants tomorrow night. I'll be listening to you, Vince Cotroneo. Thanks for the good times.

No comments: