Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Cookies for Obama

My hands are filthy, all from handling money. I'm cleaning out an old tea jar that I use to collect coins. I'm separating out silver from copper so that I can provide change. I'm getting ready for Cookies for Obama.

I'd like to say that I am jumping in wholeheartedly to the We-Must-Elect-a-Democrat-this-Time! issue by going door-to-door, working on phone banks, etc., but that's just not me. Instead, I'm organizing a bake sale for MoveOn.org, who will use the money to help Barack Obama in his quest for the White House.

MoveOn.org has made it pretty simple. They sent out a request, and 8 people have signed on to help us. We have never heard of these people before, but their enthusiasm seems boundless. I think we're going to need it.

I've been emailing furiously over the past 2 days, answering questions, figuring how much everybody is going to bring, who's coming, etc. I limited the group to 8 people (plus Dawn and me) in order to make it manageable. I didn't picture, however, that some people would come to help at the table but not bring anything, some would bring something but not help, all kinds of permutations. I actually think it's all going to work out just fine.


I have to take with me on Saturday morning:
Signs
Tape
Table
Change
Forms to sign if someone gives more than $50
Clipboard with tablet
Jar
and, last but not least, cookies.

Dawn and I will have a bake-in this Friday. And then Saturday morning, June 21st, we'll descend upon Washington Square in San Leandro, pick a desirable spot (in the shade), and set up.

And, hopefully, we'll have people bringing us cookies, brownies, cupcakes and coffee cakes so that we can sell them for Obama.

It should be exciting!

No comments: