Tuesday, April 21, 2009

It's Wasp Time!

And no, I don't mean White Anglo-Saxon Protestant. Which is an acronym I heard over and over as I was growing up.

Nope, it's time to catch wasps! Since Honey Do was going to be here anyway, I had Larry install the two traps, one in front and one in back. We had a discussion about attractants (don't you love THAT word...), and I decided to go out and get some raw hamburger.

It turns out that ham, or turkey ham, is even better, but I couldn't find a small amount of that. It seems that wasps have a finely-tuned smell mechanism, and the smellier the better. They even suggested fish.

So I climbed on a ladder, unscrewed the trap with both hands as I hoped I wouldn't fall, and inserted the hamburger. I think it'll take just a few hours in this miserable heat to get that smell out there.

Let the games begin!

No comments: