Thursday, January 8, 2009

Looking Forward to Spring Training

I have ordered my tickets for spring training 2009 -- two A's games, one Cubs game, one Dodgers. I've decided to fly this time, having driven 17 hours to get home last time.

George called me while I was sitting down for my airport margarita at McCarron Airport in Las Vegas. He wanted to discuss, yes, the A's. This is the fan who stopped being a fan for 2008 when Billy Beane traded away so many of the decent A's players that the team couldn't bat over .240 for the 2nd half of the season, and couldn't win more than two in a row.

The A's have just now announced that Jason Giambi, age 38 as of today, will be rejoining the team. What was it, seven years ago? when he left the A's for the big money in New York, and trashed the A's as he walked out the door. Some will greet him as a hero when he returns, quietly forgetting the poster boy of the Steroid Era, while others will boo him.

Which one am I? Into which camp do I reside? I have to see how well the old man can hit first.

No comments: