Saturday, September 20, 2008

The Last A's Booster Luncheon - The Angry Seniors

I was quoted in the San Francisco Chronicle today in my conversation with A's owner Lew Wolff yesterday: "Will you bring in any big bats in the offseason?"

His answer was a simple "yes."

Of course, the Chron writer didn't state my name, but who cares. I think of interest is the fact that the Chron reporters are actually attending A's Booster luncheons! Isn't that funny?

The reporter I'm talking about, Rusty Simmons, got it right when he said that "the booster club ranged from unbridled supporters to an angry mob." Well, the "mob" thing wasn't quite that intense -- after all, did he think the seniors would flay away with their walkers? -- but half of them, mostly the male half, were angry. The guy sitting in front of me, slurred his question to Mr. Wolff after his 3-martini lunch and wouldn't stop talking. He seemed like such a nice guy, too.

His question concerned the team leaving Oakland. My God, that issue is so dead that the horse has been in the ground nearly two years. Poor Mr. Wolff. I guess he thinks we don't believe him when he says he did everything he could to stay in Oakland. And he recounted a conversation that he had with the guy who was assigned by the City of Oakland to his project. Something about telling Mr. Wolff that he didn't actually live in Oakland, and that he was going to leave this job soon. What a way to court someone who's bringing money to the city.

This was our last Booster luncheon of the year, and I was really happy that Mr. Wolff deigned to come see us. Quite often, especially toward the end of a tiring year, the A's players stop showing up and we get a coach. I was shocked when we got the owner. And doubly shocked when one of those angry boosters told him that he obviously wasn't the owner who could make decisions. Unbelievably rude.

It was a disappointing season. I'm hoping we make it up to last year's level of disappointment by winning at least 75 games (you need at least 90 to have a chance for the playoffs). We're at 72 as of today. We have a chance.

At this point, we A's Boosters take all we can get.

No comments: