Thursday, September 18, 2008

Getting Rid of Crap, and other Musings

I had a doctor's checkup yesterday and a mammogram today. Gosh, we just love mammograms. But I have moved all health blog stuff to my new cancer/health blog, Touched by Cancer, produced in concert with the Women's Cancer Resource Center, located here in Oakland. Take a look and watch me scream.

******************

Just a few moments ago, I got rid of a pile of firewood I've had for at least 3 years. The pile was the result of a necessary tree thinning in my backyard, and the pile has just been sitting there. I found shortly afterwards that burning such branches in my fireplace is not a clean burn, dirties my chimney, and pollutes the environment. I posted it on Freecycle for Oakland, and Jose and I have been trying to get together for a week. I'm glad I was patient; he turned out to be a really nice guy. And he took it all away!

Also, two weeks ago I got rid of the makeshift concrete stepping stones torn up when I had my backyard walkway done over in brick. I thought they were downright ugly, misshapen, and nonuniform. A lot of people responded -- at least 15 -- but only three people came over. The first guy said "no" right away, the second person, a woman, was amazed when I said they were heavy and only took 5, and the third responder, a couple, took the rest, including the broken one I hauled out there. I am thrilled! Thank you, Freecycle!

*******************

By the way, I gave up on being a super volunteer. I gave up trying to collect free fruit from farmers and shopkeepers. I am doing a health blog. That's it. Color me relieved.

*******************

I went to the A's game today at McAfee. I have already been daydreaming about spring training. Yes, the team is that bad, but with spurts of amazing, mostly coming from their new Triple A guys. I continue to be a Jack Hanahan fan, mostly due to his stellar defense and not due to his .230 average. Today they had a great double play just before a bonehead series of plays where they let the Angels' runners dictate the game. I hate those guys.

But I still enjoy going to the games. Well, I left early today when Keith Foulke, perhaps a future Hall-of-Famer, served up 3 homeruns in a row to those Angels' batters. I hate those guys.

No comments: