Monday, January 28, 2008

Welcome to City Hall

I went down to 250 Frank Ogawa Plaza today in Oakland, to the City Hall. I was told by Joseph that I needed to take a certified copy of the deed for Circle Hill into the city to show them ownership. This is so that we can file for a rebate after the seismic upgrading is done.

The inspector had just come Friday, and Joseph told me he said everything looked good. They will be starting the work this week. So, I thought everything would work out better if I did this first thing Monday, before the rains came, and just got it over with.

I was wrong.

I found parking only after 15 minutes of looking, and only two blocks away. Gee! Walking past all the guys conferring with each other in front of the liquor store on 14th Street (why do they have to do that?), I found City Hall. I had been here once before to ask a few questions about a business tax that they stick me with every year. Much to my surprise, the woman answered all my questions and was quite pleasant. I walked away and mailed in the tax.

On the advise of the security guard in front, I went to the 2nd floor, immediately went to the wrong side, and was told to go to the other side. God, it looked like a DMV. I got a number, dragged out the pitiful sports section of the Tribune, and read until my number came up.

The guy at the counter had no idea what I was talking about. "I'm new," he said, smiling. Oh great, I thought, not smiling. He didn't know what to do. He couldn't find the file. He asked me for I.D. but when I told him I wasn't the property owner, he didn't insist on it. (Oh, good thing....sheesh.) Thanks to the woman to the right of him, who gave him instructions, the woman to the left of him, who had the file after all after 20 minutes of looking, and the guy he asked advice of, he changed my name in the system to Ruth's, and added the proper mailing address. He then handed me back the form I had filled out and the certified copy of the deed.

Is that all there is? Of course, I'm worried that there's more. After all, why would you fill out a form when it isn't even used?

So I'll save everything for next time. Next time? Yeah, I have to go in after the project is completed and prove that Ruth still owns the place. I have no idea how I'm going to do that. And I knew I couldn't ask this clerk. He's new.

No comments: