Thursday, October 18, 2007

Volunteerism - Raising the Bar

I have three friends, three former co-workers, who
are on meaningful volunteer paths. One is a senior
ombudsman in the Vallejo area, meaning, he helps advocate
for seniors who are being abused, etc. Another helps
give his time towards the Make-a-Wish foundation in
Georgia, and is also helping out with the Combined
Federal Campaign by raising funds. And still another
is volunteering her time by helping teach kindergarten
kids at one of our Bay Area schools. And she just
retired!

So, three of my friends have challenged me. Oh, they haven't pointed to me and said, YOU! They wouldn't do that. They lead by example. I admire them greatly.

We've all worked at least 30 years at a job that absolutely drained us. Obviously, my friends are applying the same dedication and energy to this new job that they've each found.

I'm not sure what will happen with me. I've having the time of my life already. And yet, there might be room for the right kind of volunteering job. We'll see what develops.

No comments: