Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Baseball Season Right Around the Corner

So, tonight is Day One of the World Series, where...

Oh, who cares. The only reasons to watch the Fall Classic this year is to (1) enjoy High Definition, where I can see the grass on the cleats, and (2) to continue my hatred of Tim McCarver, who states the patently obvious too much to get paid for reporting on baseball.

I read today where Lew Wolff, the very patient owner of the Oakland A's, was trying to explain for the 1,000th time why the team can't stay in Oakland. Get over it, folks. The team either goes to Fremont, or it goes to Omaha. No, we don't know the title yet. No, we haven't made any headway on environmental issue. I don't know why he bothers to take questions. Maybe so he can convince the doctor to increase his blood pressure medication.

The A's haven't made any player trades, at least anything since the end of the season. They have hired some coaches, but those weren't any surprise: they're all friends of Bob Geren, the manager. I am hoping for some really big moves in the offseason. Otherwise, I have to say, I don't think we have much of a team in 2008.

But that doesn't stop me from making my spring training plans. However, and this is just an aside, I don't understand why it takes the Oakland Athletics so frigging long to put their spring training schedule together. They are the LAST of any team to do so. I know 90% of the Atlanta Braves' schedule, which helps me set up my plans for the first week in March at the Disney World of Sports complex. It'll be a great long weekend there, as they're playing four great games at home (WDW) against some terrific teams (e.g., Detroit, Chicago Cubs).

My weekend in Phoenix is less sure. It looks, however, as I am going to have to pass on the Tucson game, which is Friday, I believe, in the only game that weekend they have scheduled, and substitute a San Francisco Giants game at Scottsdale instead. It's the same thing I was forced to do this year.

In the meantime, it sure would be nice for Billy Beane to work some beaneball magic and make some trades. Shake up the team. Do I think any player is untouchable? No, not in BeaneLand, but in my mind I would hate to lose Dan Haren or Joe Blanton or Mark Ellis. I actually think only one of those is a possible trade.

The spring of 2008 can't get here too soon. First, we have to get rid of 85-degree weather we're having in the Bay Area. And also get rid of McCarver's whiny voice telling us all about how the delay may affect the Rockies. Sheesh, who cares.

Bring on 2008!

No comments: