Saturday, January 23, 2010

A Few Odds and Ends

I find it interesting that, on my cancer blog, www.touchedbycancer.blogspot.com, more people reacted to the short article I wrote about the death of singer Kenny Rankin, who died last year of lung cancer at a young-ish age in his sixties. His death really struck a chord.

I attended one-half of a Star Trek convention this weekend. They are so seldom in San Francisco these days. Thank God they're no longer at the horrible Masonic temple on top of that hill. It was Deep Space Nine day today. It was great to run into my friends Jen and Amy, whom I met at a Battlestar Galactica convention some years ago. There aren't many sci fi fans in my life, and it's such a pleasure to share this love with friends. Thanks for being there. Tomorrow, King Shatner and Sir Patrick!

I am talking presently with a friend about how hard it is to walk into a room of people you sort of know. A party. A retirement luncheon. It's hard for extroverts to understand. It's a real dread. If I could change anything about my life, it would probably be (1) stop being shy, and (2) develop memory skills. I can work on it every day, but it is work.

Watching the SAG awards. I've seen some of the films, but I've never heard of a lot of them, or a lot of these TV specials, especially since I don't get HBO any more. Drew Barrymore was in something good? And we're not talking Whip It. What was that? Gotta catch up - I'll get my marching orders when the Academy Award nominations come out.

No comments: