Monday, November 24, 2008

The Big, Bright, New, Silver 'Fridge

You probably think, from recent posts, that the only time I visit people is when the delivery guy shows up. That I'm a lonely woman living by myself who only gets company when a service person comes with new furniture. Or to install a water spigot for the new refrigerator.

You'd be right! (Well, I'm not a spinster and I don't live alone.) But I do like to blog these things. They're exciting, ergo...

The refrigerator arrived today!

In preparation, we moved the couch back and then the long table by the door into the hallway. (In the meanwhile, we found Jamie's college diploma, which had been missing for a year, but you don't need to know about that...)

I opened the screen door and the front door as wide as they would go, hoping it would be enough. Sweetie kept saying over and over: It's Big.

And it was. The clever Sears delivery guy came in first to eyeball it all, to see if it would work. He immediately said, "Okay, it's over. It'll never fit through here." And then he laughed. He was joking. Ha. That was our big fear about this delivery. But he seemed to know what he was doing, so I took photos and kinda relaxed.

They spent a good half hour in the street, taking off all four doors (FOUR DOORS??!) and bringing the doors in first. Then, they brought the dolly to pick up the old 'fridge. Then they finally brought the new refrigerator in. Stainless steel, wide. It looked more like a trailer than a refrigerator. I could live in it.

He gave us a little primer on how the icemaker works. It's digital!!!

He told us to dump the first 1.5 gallons of water, and the same for the first batch(es) of ice. So I spent a bit of this afternoon watering the lawn with dirty water. And now we're waiting for the fridge to get cold. It's set at 37 degrees for the top part, 0 degrees for the bottom freezer drawers. Yes, two freezer drawers! I can't put milk in it for another day.

(Sorry for the gold look to the finished fridge -- the color is probably due to fluorescent light above.) It's definitely stainless steel.

So when I bought frozen pie crusts today for Thanksgiving's pumpkin pie, I had to take them to someone else's freezer, and will have to keep them there until I'm ready to cook on Wednesday afternoon.

But in a few days, the big monster will be ready to go. We have to have a meeting to figure out where to put stuff.

No comments: