Wednesday, July 18, 2007

The End of Baseball as We Know It

Last night I wore my Jason Kendall t-shirt in memoriam, in protest of his trade to the Chicago Cubs. I am officially calling this the day we know Oakland A's baseball will not reach the playoffs in 2007.

I am not sure how many games back from the Angels we are -- 12? -- today, but that doesn't really matter. The team has lost 9 games in a row. Billy has traded two of the best producing veterans we had, Milton Bradley and Jason Kendall, and replaced them with Travis Buck and Kurt Suzuki. Yes, rookies. With a Capital R.

I have a lot of tickets left. Geez, there are 67 games left. I will continue to go. I left in the sixth last night -- a good game, but I began to smell defeat. And, God knows, I hate to watch implosions. There have been so many. Good games, something happens, then everything -- offense, defense, pitching -- goes. It usually starts with the pitching. It always begins with lack of offense.

I just have one question at the End of the 2007 Season, which is today: What do I do with my Jason Kendall t-shirt?

No comments: